Thursday, February 21, 2013

100% Preventable, My Ass

On Tuesday, My Psychology of Crisis teacher began our lecture on Suicide.  There was a slide up for quite a while that said "Suicide is 100% Preventable."  Ten minutes after class I was standing on the curb sobbing into my friends shoulder.  I couldn't help thinking that if my dad had had access to the sort of crisis prevention plans she was referencing, he might still be alive.  I also couldn't help thinking that suicide can be 0% preventable if the person in question doesn't want to live.  At some point, the issue is just out of our hands - it is hard to accept, but that is what I am trying to do in my own life.  This lecture was obviously not meant for the grief and healing process of family members "left behind."  And that is ok, I know my teacher did not mean to place blame.  At the same time, I do realize that there is so much to be learned and so much to be done to help those struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts.  That is really what I am hoping positive psychology will help me discover.

At the end of the day, I firmly believe that living is an individual choice that everyone has the right to choose (or not choose) for themselves...my goal is to help everyone see and find more beauty and meaning in their lives so (in the most severe cases) they do not resort to suicide as an option.  I feel this so strongly that it is almost calling me, pulling me to action.

Sometimes, the raw edges around the wound in my heart seem to catch and I feel a searing pain or, at times, a dull ache.  At moments like this, I am comforted by the idea that my life is no longer my own, but destined for the greater purpose of helping others...

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful post, Rosebud. I am comforted that you are continuing to actively work through the grief recovery process. I love you very much. XOXO

    ReplyDelete