Monday, January 14, 2013

Host Family, Adopt Me

So my host family is amazing.  My host brother and sister are very special children - amazingly independent and passionate. Andreas is 13 and loves speaking english.  Rebecca is 11 and slightly shy but around the dinner table, with a little help from parents to translate, the fully vibrancy of her personality comes through.  She has a great smile and is very creative.  I love coming home to this energetic family and all the hubbub of two children in grade school.  Today was my first day exploring the city and commuting on the S-tog train.  It took a lot of poring over maps in freezing snowy weather but, along with some new friends that are doing home-stays nearby, we figured it out.  Walking around copenhagen all day was amazing but I was so excited to get back to my warm and cozy house.  There is a concept of "hygge" here in Denmark that roughly translates to coziness and I definitely feel it in their home.  I expect that I will be spending a lot of time here just hanging out with the family or bringing a friend back for dinner... a dream come true for my homebody side.  Having meals at the house is practical too because things are very expensive in Copenhagen and eating at home and packing a lunch is a much better deal :)  I am loving it here so far.

There are almost a thousand students in DIS but I have been pretty reserved (for me) about meeting them all.  It just is not a top priority right now.  I am very excited about my classes to meet other psych students and about some of the girls in my area but I am not frantically trying to be friends with everyone. I think it will just come naturally and I am shockingly calm about the whole thing. I am going out for drinks with a couple girlfriends now and everything just feels very cozy and enjoyable.  I think I completely lucked out with my living situation because I am fully submerged in the Danish culture with a family that really likes to spend time together but also have a few wonderful ladies either walking distance from me or just a train stop away. I think this will turn out to be a really great balance.  I can't wait for classes to start on thursday so I can meet students in my classes and just start to get my schedule solidified.

FYI: I have a danish phone number now: +45 2394 4674 (so don't freak out if my US number is disconnected for a couple months.)  This is free (for me) if you want to call but there are also some awesome options like skype or a new messaging app called "whatsapp" that allows free international text messaging.  One awesome thing about my 20 minute s-tog commute is that there is free wi-fi the whole way! So that will come in very handy.

2 comments:

  1. P.S: I would love to know more about Danish cuisine when you have time. What constitutes a hygge, homecooked meal there?

    Also, do you love black licorice or hate it? I LOVE that flavor (even the salty kind) and I remember a day trip to a small city in Denmark that bordered Germany (I was visiting distant family in Kiel there about an hour south of the border) and noticing that licorice was very popular in that area. I visited once only when I was in middle school so my memories of the trip are largely populated with visions of the food I ate over most of the cultural landmarks we visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rosebud! I'm so glad I checked your blog this morning. So happy to hear you love your host family and feeling the hygge! So happy to hear you are feeling "shockingly calm" about the whole thing! My heart is full. I love you. Keep these posts coming and I'm downloading "what's up" as we speak. XOXO Mom

    ReplyDelete