Sunday, January 20, 2013

Nightlife

The Danish party scene is ridiculous.  It is weird seeing everyone shamelessly walking around with cans of beer and bottles of vodka even as the "politi" police cars drive by in the city. It is also weird standing in line for a club next to a sixteen year old girl even though the drinking age has just been changed to 18 in Denmark (at least she looked 16). But the best part is that Danes LOVE old american pop music! We were rocking out to throwback Justin Timberlake, Usher, and Nelly Furtado all night and it was fantastic.  It was like a little piece of home and my childhood in a foreign land. I had my first real night out last night and all I can say is it is eye-opening to see this weekend routine that is so normal to the Danes.  The dance bars don't get going until 11 or 12 and it is not uncommon for people to stay out as late as 5 in the morning.  Then, everyone rides the train back together drunk, sleepy and quiet.  It will definitely take some getting used to.  I myself left at 2:30 with some girlfriends to catch the next train back to Stengarden so I could be in bed at roughly 3 in the morning.  I didn't drink very much because drinks are expensive at these bars but I had so much fun with the girls I went out with.   I have actually been having more fun hanging out with girls so far than boys and I am absolutely fine with that.  I danced with a couple Danish guys and I was impressed with both their dance skill and their respect on the dance floor...instead of coming up behind me they held my hands and looked me in the eyes.  It was a very nice change!

Hannah is probably the person I have become closest to so far.  I actually sat next to her on the plane from Zurich to Copenhagen and she just happens to live one train stop away from me.  Hannah has a very calm presence and a beautiful smile. In this first hectic week of never-ending orientations and confusing bus routes, talking with her has helped me cope when I begin to feel overwhelmed.  It is not so much what she says but how she says it and I am very glad to have met her! Hopefully I can have the same effect for her :)  I was lucky enough to invite her over to dinner friday night because Hannah lives with a danish student and we didn't want her to miss out on the Danish family experience.  We had an amazing curry chicken dish over rice with an assortment of toppings ranging from corn, cucumber, bell pepper, salted nuts, coconut, banana, mango, pineapple and mango chutney. Mmmm :) It is called  Ris Taffel and it may be one of my favorite dishes ever.  The next morning for breakfast Karina (my host mom) made fresh rolls and we had them hot from the oven with traditional thin pieces of dark chocolate melting on top.  My mouth is watering just think about it.

For all the delicious food I'm eating I feel pretty fit because we walk everywhere.  Hopefully I will be biking as soon as my host Dad Jesper has a chance to fix one of the old family bikes for me.  Yesterday Abbie, Colleen, Lucy and I walked all the way to the famous little mermaid statue in Osterport.  I was freezing due in part to the wind chill factor by the harbor but we had an adventure. I was very proud of myself for taking charge of reading the map and actually navigating us successfully to the statue.  Big accomplishment!  Along with Hannah and another girl, Kirsten, these girls made up the group that I went out with later that night.  Abbie actually goes to UPS with me and is a super fun girl.  I'm looking forward to getting to know her better while we are here :)

3 comments:

  1. Ris Taffel sounds really good! My best friend is Indonesian-Irish and we got to be roommates one year and she cooked a lot of amazing Indonesian food her grandmother and mother taught her - Ris Taffel sounds similar in some ways to Indonesian dishes (with a cool range of toppings) she would make.

    I'm really enjoying reading about what you're up to - there was a recent online article in Chronicle of Higher Ed questioning whether study abroad is being "ruined" by students' access/use of facebook or other ways they stay connected to the US, but what I felt the author didn't recognize is how much the friends/family of the student studying abroad get to benefit from the pictures and anecdotes you share with us. In other words, staying connected isn't a bad thing if you're using social media as a way to share rather than as a "crutch" so you don't have to put yourself out there. Here's the article link in case you're interested:
    http://chronicle.com/article/How-Facebook-Can-Ruin-Study/136633/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your updates, Rosebud! Love you!

    ReplyDelete